Advanced Diploma of Art (Musical Theatre & Commercial Dance)
This course is open to students seeking full time training to an advanced level of professional practice, skills and excellence.
The Advanced Diploma focuses on complex technique and development of solo work across the dance, singing and acting genres.
Classes have a high degree of practical training, rehearsal and performance across the disciplines of Jazz, Tap, Acting, Singing, Classical Ballet, Contemporary Dance, Acto, and Industry Development subjects.
Credit for the completion of the Advanced Diploma may be banked for the student with the Queensland Studies Authority, may contribute to the issuance of a Queensland Certificate of Education, and may be credited toward an OP equivalent score: awarded by the Queensland Tertiary Application Centre, for students seeking higher education pathways.
This specialisation is designed for students wishing to enter a career as a performer in the Musical Theatre and Commercial Dance area of the profession.
The units for the delivery of this qualification have been selected by ADPI as a consequence of its consultation with clients, agents and producers during the development of their accredited course.
- Perform complex jazz dance routines in a range of styles
- Develop an informed appreciation of musical theatre since1940
- Perform complex tap dance routines in a range of tap styles
- Develop audition techniques
- Extend musical theatre performance to a professional level
- Maintain a high level of fitness for performance
- Develop advanced vocal techniques
- Prepare for sustainable professional practice
- Act a featured role in musical theatre
- Aesthetically perform classical ballet and contemporary dance with secure technique
THE ROB GUEST ENDOWMENT
After the sudden death of Rob Guest, OBE, in October 2008, and in recognition of his achievements in the musical theatre industry, ANZ and ANZ Trustees established a memorial fund in his honour to help emerging young performers in musical theatre. The ANZ Trustees Foundation: Rob Guest Endowment will be awarded each year to an emerging musical theatre performer selected by a panel of industry experts.
The Advanced Diploma qualifications have been structured to provide graduates with a range of entry pathways into a career in performing arts or further higher education/tertiary studies. These are dependent to some extent on students‟ chosen specialisation.
For example, students may wish to seek / audition for employment as:
- a performer in a dance company, dance theatre, commercial entertainment venues, cruise ship, musical theatre productions, musical group, acting or other performance role/s in television, films;
- production assistant / trainee in a theatre / ballet company
- dancer /musical theatre part for special productions (eg Romeo & Juliet, Wizard of OZ, Phantom of the Opera, Oliver, 42nd Street, Chicago)
- dancer / musical theatre parts in community productions, public events
ARTICULATION INTO FURTHER TRAINING
Within the vocational education and training (VET) sector, nationally recognised qualifications are mutually recognised. That is, if a student exits with a Diploma qualification from ADPI P/L, moves interstate and wants to continue to work towards an Advanced Diploma, credit (or advanced standing) should be given for equivalent competencies already attained.
To enter into an undergraduate degree level course for higher education studies, students will need to contact the relevant university/ies and apply on an individual basis for credit and/or advanced standing.